Skip to main content

Where to live

Some young adults with learning difficulties and / or disabilities will be able to live independently with the correct support. The Joint Community Learning Disability Team can help to arrange support for independent living, support at home and supported housing or other accommodation, such as residential care.

You can use the service if you:

  • Are over the age of 18
  • Have a clear and permanent learning disability and need support to manage your life
  • Have health needs your own doctor cannot help you with
  • Live in Croydon or have always been supported by Croydon. (If another council already supports you, they may continue to support you)
  • Are the carer of a person with a learning disability who lives in Croydon

A financial assessment will be carried out to see if you must pay towards the services you receive. You can find details of all the services that the Joint Community Learning Disability Team arranges here (external link). They include services provided by Croydon Day Opportunities. Other providers include the National Autistic Society which focuses on services for young people and adults with autism and Asperger Syndrome.

The Drop in Zone at the Turnaround Centre provides advice on the prevention of homelessness and statutory homelessness assessment for16-21. This is a safe environment where professional staff are available to deal with immediate concerns. They will draw up a personal housing plan with you, identifying a plan to address your housing needs and any other support needs such as support for young people not in education, employment or training.

Disability Rights UK has an independent living advice line 0300 555 1525, that is open Monday and Thursday 9am - 1pm.

You can find a list of day care and residential care for young adults in the Croydon area on website (external link). You will be able to search for services for younger adults and also by location.

You can find more general advice and information on finding your own home on the Your Home - Your Move section of Croydon Council’s website (external link).

Powered by Open Objects © Idox plc