There are a number of services that provide a Mental Health Service to Children and Young people in Croydon.
Croydon CAMHS (Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services) offer assessment and evidence based treatment to children and adolescents and their families who have a moderate to severe mental health disorder.
Services offered include:
The types of disorders typically seen are:
- Affective disorder
- Anxiety disorder or phobia
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
- Developmental disorders (childhood autism, Asperger's syndrome)
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Post-traumatic Stress Disorder or traumas related to child protection issues
- Severe behavioural disturbance with underlying treatable condition
- Eating disorders
- Deliberate self-harm
CAMHS also provides intervention at a lower threshold for young people with particular vulnerabilities such as being looked after, youth offending or severe learning disability.
Referrals are accepted for children and young people (up to the age of 18) and their families made with the referees' knowledge and agreement and appropriate consent from the young person or parent who meet the threshold.
CAMHS works closely with the voluntary sector Croydon Drop-In and Off The Record and can forward referrals with consent who would be more appropriately seen by their service via a single point of access arrangement. CAMHS will suggest alternative intervention at school or to support parents if a referral does not require a Specialist assessment or Treatment.
Who can refer?
Any professional or agency such as GPs, Paediatricians, Social Services, Educational Psychologists, Schools, Health Visitors and others.
Referrals are made in writing either by letter or using the referral form. Self-referrals are not accepted.
How to get in touch
You can contact CAMHS in any of the following ways.
- Phone: 020 3228 0000
- Email: email@example.com
- Address: Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service, South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust, Christopher Wren House, 13 High Street, Croydon, CRO 1QG
- Website: www.slam.nhs.uk (external link)
You can also find more information on NHS Choices website (external link).