Children’s Physiotherapy Service, Croydon Health Services (CHS)
The service provides both acute and community physiotherapy as best meets the needs of individual children and young people.
Children’s Physiotherapists at Croydon University Hospital provide physiotherapy as required to children and young people admitted to the Children’s ward as well as offering out-patient physiotherapy services to children with short term difficulties or injuries affecting muscles, bones or joints.
The Children’s Physiotherapy Service also provides community based physiotherapy for children and young people with Neuro developmental disorders or movement delay or motor impairment resulting in reduced function and participation throughout the London Borough of Croydon.
The service provides an individually tailored programme for each child or young person. This involves assessment, to ascertain the usefulness of physiotherapy to the child/young person and family, providing advice on managing their motor delay/impairment or disability and where appropriate providing advice / activities/ intervention to increase / maintain movement, strengthen muscles, reduce pain, encourage good positioning, including 24 hour postural management and promote a child’s gross motor skills.
The core outcomes of the service are:
- To aide in the early identification of physiotherapy needs
- To support children and young people to achieve their full potential within all settings; at home, community and at school
- To support parents/carers and the wider workforce, where appropriate, to address children and young people’s needs in their care/attending their setting, supporting the building of skills and capacity in the wider children’s workforce, including school and children’s centres staff through provision of training, support and advice
- To support children, young people and their families to meet their aspirations, outcomes and objectives, understand their interests, strengths and motivations and use this as a basis for planning personalised support around them
- To encourage children and young people’s ambitions to live independently and participate in their community, maximising self-care where possible and educating parents / carers and others working with the child
- To provide a transparent, seamless and easy to navigate service, focusing on a positive user experience for children, young people and their families
- To improve fitness, exercise tolerance and reduce the incidence of obesity for children and young people with a motor disability.
The service is provided in a variety of locations based on the needs of the children, young people and families it services. These locations include:
- Crystal Children’s Development Centre
- Croydon University Hospital
- Other CHS locations
- Child’s home
- Children’s Centres
- Croydon maintained mainstream and special schools
- Childcare provision within LB of Croydon
- Croydon University Hospital hydrotherapy pool
- The service accepts referrals for children or young people registered with a Croydon GP, aged 0 to 16 years of age (up to 19 years at Croydon Special Schools).
- Children attending a Croydon maintained school who do not have a Croydon GP will be seen for school based issues only.
- CHS Children’s Physiotherapists are unable to visit out of borough schools.
- Children attending a non-London Borough of Croydon school will not be seen in a school environment. If they require physiotherapy intervention and it is not provided by services to their school they will be offered a service in clinic.
The Children’s Physiotherapy Service is a Specialist service. Children and young people need to be referred to the service by another Health Care Professional.
How to get in touch
You can contact the Children's Physiotherapy Service in any of the following ways.
- Crystal Children's Development Centre
- Phone: 020 8274 6853
- Address: Crystal Children's Development Centre, Malling Close, Addiscombe, Croydon, CR0 7YD
- Croydon University Hospital
- Phone: 020 8401 3000 ext. 4261
- Address: Croydon University Hospital, 530 London Road, Croydon, CR7 7YE