The children's occupational therapy team is an integrated service with health colleagues, that aims to help children achieve or maintain their maximum level of independence and to develop practical life skills so that they can participate to their full potential in the home and classroom environment.
It provides assessments and interventions to assist children to carry out activities of everyday life, including self-care, play, leisure activities and access to school and nursery.
The team also provides advice, home and school programmes, housing assessments, home adaptations and specialist equipment. The children's occupational therapy team is based at the Crystal Centre. It also provides services in clinics, the child's home, respite homes and nursery /school settings, including Special Schools in Croydon.
Why not try AskSARA – (external link). It's an online advice tool to help you find the right equipment and shows you where you can buy this equipment online.
- Occupational therapy (therapy and nursery/school input) is provided to children aged 0-16 with needs affecting their functional ability who have a Croydon GP and are in a Croydon school. Children attending a Croydon maintained school who do not have a Croydon GP will be seen for school-based issues.
- Children registered with a Croydon GP who attend out-of-borough schools will only be seen if the OT service for that borough refuses access to the child. In these instances, clinic-based provision will be offered.
- Social care occupational therapy (home equipment, adaptations and housing) is provided to children aged 0-18 who are resident in the borough and who have a permanent substantial disability and meet eligibility criteria. Transition to the Adult Occupational Therapy service is supported where it is required and meets eligibility criteria on an ongoing basis.
- Children who have generalised developmental delay will only be seen if their motor difficulties are significantly delayed in comparison to other areas of their development.
- Dynamic and specialist upper limb orthoses are not provided by the service.
- School based services are not provided in independent mainstream or special schools.
Self-referrals and referrals from other professionals are accepted and prioritised according to level of need.
How to get in touch
You can contact the Occupational Therapy Service in any of the following ways.
- Phone: 020 8274 6850 / 6854
- Address: Crystal Children's Development Centre, Malling Close, Addiscombe, Croydon, CR0 7YD
The centre is open Monday to Friday 8.30am - 4.30pm, excluding bank holidays. Late visits can be arranged if necessary.