Have your say on short breaks
The London Borough of Croydon Children with Disabilities Service invites you to share your feedback on the short breaks offer. What is working well? What can we do better?
This is a chance for you to have a say in future service provision. We would also welcome your child's or young person's point of view where appropriate.
We understand that the current COVID-19 measures in place may make it difficult for you to access the short break services that are usually available. We appreciate that this may negatively impact upon your current experience. However, we ask that you tell us what you think about the current offer and the “normal” offer that was available prior to the COVID 19 pandemic.
Please respond by Friday 28th August 2020. Thank you!
Short breaks provide a child/ young person with a disability and their parents/carers a break from their usual routine and offer new opportunities.
Home-based care is where a child/young person visits the carer's home for a few hours per week or overnight stays.
Most of our home-based carers will have previous experience with children/young people who have a disability and may have worked in schools or related care services. They are assessed in a similar way to foster carers.
There are a range of short break services, play schemes and youth activities available to disabled children and young people in Croydon.
Many of these services can be accessed directly; others require an assessment and referral from the 0-25 Children with Disabilities Social Care Service.
You can find details of organisations in the Local Offer directory, within the Leisure, activities and sports section.
Services that require a referral to be made by the 0-25 Children with Disabilities Team, following a Child in Need Assessment are:
- Calleydown residential short breaks home. A residential unit offering overnight short breaks, day care and after school support to children and young people with a severe learning disability aged 5-18.
- PAT Scheme - weekend and holiday play scheme for children with learning disability aged 5-11.
- Support with preparing for adulthood.
- Time Out Scheme - weekend and holiday play scheme for children with learning disability aged 11-17.
How to get in touch
You can contact the Children with Disabilities Team in any of the following ways.
- Phone: 020 8726 6400
- Minicom: 020 8760 5797
- Address: Children with Disabilities Team, 2nd Floor, Bernard Weatherill House, 8 Mint Walk, Croydon, CR0 1EA